A lot has happened since I was preparing to go on vacation last week. When I left, Hurley was asking me what I wanted to do with Mom since she was having trouble getting off the vent: send her home for Dad to take care of her or put her in a home. She had just stopped having temps and they were again questioning the strength of her heart.
Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I returned. Mom had a heart catheter (a scope, really) that showed that her heart is strong with minor artery blockages -- nothing for concern. She was moved to Select, a hospital within a hospital. She's now in room 1170. Select has a slower paced rehab center and specializes in working with patients on or just off of the vent.
Select seems to me to be far superior to Hurley. The staff is much more attentive, professional, and caring. So far, communication is much, much better, too!
They changed her trech yesterday to a smaller one with a valve on it so she can again talk! They were talking about testing her swallow reflexes today to see if she'd be able to start eating food again and get that dang feeding tube out of her mouth. We decided that if she couldn't, she'd switch to the direct-to-stomach feeding tube since she's sick and tired of that tube up her nose. The popular belief is that stomach tubes aren't permanent like some people think.
Well, that's all for now. I'm happy not to have a litany of information to have to report because when that's the case it's all bad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment