Saturday, August 18, 2007

Aug 18

The longer that Mom is in the hospital, the harder it is for me to sit down and update the Blog. My apologizes.

Mom still has a temp that has ranged from 99-102 for a couple weeks now so she still has an infection that isn't being treated by the antibiotics. Her potassium, magnesium, sodium were better this week so they decided to start taking her off the vent for as long as she could tolerate it. They gave her some extra magnesium (or was that potassium?) yesterday but her level wasn't crazy. Vent times: Mon 5 hours, Tues 10 hours, Wed 12 hours, Thurs 24 hours then her body tired out so much that she won't be off the vent again for at least a couple days. (I didn't ask why they let her get to that level of exhaustion. It had to either be an over site or they want her to build up her lungs that much more.) She spiked a temp of just over 102 f while she was laboring to breathe. Hurly put her on the antibiotic Venco Myasin (sp?) which is fine by me because that seemed to be the drug that helped her the most at HF. I had mentioned this fact to the nurses a while ago but I'm pretty sure that they didn't pass it along to the docs.

I continue to be amazed at how hard it is for me to get information out of the people at Hurly. One particular nurse has taken it upon herself to fight me every step of the way so I've made arrangements for her not to be Mom's nurse anymore. I suppose that they resist me because I'm not there every day like I was when Mom was in McLaren. Although there is a hole in that theory because Henry Ford really reached out to me with information. If I could get Dad to make the call to his attorney to change their powers of attorney, my life would be minutely easier.

No comments: