The great news is that she ate a pint of chicken and dumpling soup with all of her veggies at dinner last night along with a complete can of Boost. While I was there in the morning, she drank a Boost and ate a banana and drank her O. She had drank 2 Boosts under the watch of the previous 3rd shift. I think that she's started to internalize what we've been telling her (docs, nurses, and family). Eat or get the feeding tube on Monday.
Dad was drinking last night. This coupled with his extremely poor circulation led to him falling when he answered the nurse's call at 1 am. Instead of answering the call with the phone by the bedside, he jumped up to get the phone. Well, in his poor physical condition, you don't just jump up. He told me that he fell and got a rug burn on his cheek. The Nurse Manager of the rehab that Mom just left mentioned Dad's dementia. This is the first time anyone has used that word in association to Dad with me. While it was somewhat shocking, it was also a relief. At least I'm not crazy -- he is slipping. Mom's new nurse just told me that I could use this to get legal authority over Mom if need be... after getting the dementia documented, of course. Hurley won't sign off on Mom having enough whits about her to let her sign authority over to me and Dad has told me on more than one occasion that he doesn't want it. He doesn't even know how to pay their bills or to take his meds properly without assistance. The new nurse told me that I have legal authority unless I have siblings that I would then need to conference with but since my only sibling is a Navy Seal and in Iraq right now (Mom doesn't know this) then I'm it. If Dad didn't have dementia, I'd have to go to Probate Court to get legal authority. This is something I didn't think I'd learn at 2 am on a Sunday morning! I'll need to check to see if what the nurse told me is right.
I will visit Mom after Dave gets back from visiting his brother this evening. I assume Dad is visiting Mom today too. I don't know if anyone else plans to visit her or not. If you visit Mom, please see my friend's comments in the below email.
Kaylee
810-625-8481
Kate Braciszewski
Hi! just read the blog from yesterday. the psychosis part confuses me a bit.
Is she oriented? know where she is? date? Be sure people are reminding her where she is. Maybe write it down for her if she has the ability to read. Put a log book in her room if she can read. Have everyone jot a note for her--make it simple...."Hi Mom, it's Kaylee and I was here today for 2 hours. Today is Saturday, August 4-it is still very hot outside. I will be back Monday--2 days from now". If this is "doable" ask the nurses to read the entries to her. You could have an explanation on the front of the book for people to read so they know what to write.
Is she sleeping at night? If not, and the lights are on 24 hours a day, that could account for her confusion too.
Nutrition is key. Ensure? Milkshakes? Yogurt?
No comments:
Post a Comment